Thursday, October 10, 2019

Suspenders

Suspenders. I ran across an older gentleman today waiting on my flight in the airport. He looked like we was a war veteran of some sort. He wasn’t old enough to be a WWII veteran and looked like he may have been a Korean War vet. He had a Navy hat on and he reminded me of my grandfather because of a certain item of clothing he was wearing. I remember him always wearing a pair of suspenders. The guy I met today not only had on a pair of suspenders, but he had on a belt for extra security.

One of my former bosses used to always use that expression “belt and suspenders” when he discussed making sure we had all our bases covered. This gentleman was definitely a “belt and suspenders” kind of guy. It made me laugh and think about my grandfather. Some people are just programmed that way in their preparation and some people are not.

I’ve heard people explain our eternity the same way. That we can either be prepared for eternity (belts and suspenders) or just take our chances and see what happens. I have heard it said that “I would rather believe that the Bible is true and accept it by faith and put my trust in Christ only to find out after I die that it wasn’t true, than to not believe it and find out too late that it is true.”

“Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'” - Matthew 7:21-23.

Those will be awful words to hear. Being “religious” or “spiritual” won’t save you. Having a relationship with Jesus Christ by accepting His work of salvation by faith is what saves you. Not going to church, not giving money, not singing in the choir or any other religious work will save you. Only Christ and Him alone.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment