Friday, October 18, 2019

Rescue

Rescue. There was a story on the news and the internet the other day about a dog that had to be rescued from a hiking trip in the mountains. A 190 pound mastiff went hiking with its owner and about halfway through the trip became too tired to finish the hike back. Rescue crews had to be sent up to carry the huge dog back down the mountain. As you can imagine, the terrain isn’t really suitable for hiking down a mountain carrying 190 pounds of dog!  The story did end successfully and the dog was able to go back home with its owner.

I can’t count the number of times that God has had to rescue me from things that I got myself into without thinking it all the way through. I’m sure, just like the rescuers of the dog, there had to be some times that God muttered under His breath, “what were you thinking?”  But no matter the situation, God is a willing rescuer of those that need Him.

All those stories of David when he was anointed king but Saul was still on the throne. How he was hunted down and pursued by Saul and his men trying to kill him. “He rescued me from my strong enemy and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me.” - Psalm 18:17. Once he became king, and his children were grown, he was still chased out of Jerusalem by his own son trying to kill him. In all those moments, God rescued him from his enemies. Most of the Psalms are about those trying times.

As Christians, we have a Rescuer too, that goes by the name of Jesus Christ. He rescues us from the penalty of our sins. He rescues us from times of trouble in our lives. And He rescues us from things we won’t even know about until it’s revealed to us in eternity. “The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.” - 2 Timothy 4:18.

More than anything, He wants to hear the words of the unsaved crying out to Him to be rescued from their sins. Just like the psalmist wrote, “In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline your ear to me, and save me!” - Psalm 71:2.  He wants to save you from the penalty of your sins. Cry out to Him to rescue you and He will hear you and save you!

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment