Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Stone Walls

Stone walls. As I was driving through Connecticut this afternoon, I passed through a bunch of small towns as I went along some back country roads. You could tell these were old towns that had probably been around since shortly before or after the Revolutionary War. The style of the houses were just beautiful and in this one town there was a two foot stone wall around the outside of each of the properties. It was just awesome. I thought about how long ago those walls were built.

Not only were the walls built possibly hundreds of years ago, but they were still standing just like when they were first built. I’m sure that some maintenance has been done to them to repair places that may have come apart over the years. I also started thinking about the people who built those walls. These were probably men that had very few tools to construct these walls that still stood where they were built. I don’t know who they were, whether they were masons by trade or the owners of the houses themselves, but whoever built them has left a legacy for many generations.

As Christians, we have legacies that we leave within our own families. I know my wife continues a legacy that started many generations before her. As for me, I am the starter of the legacy for my children from my side of the family. As I said before, I didn’t grow up in a Christian family where a legacy had been established. The legacy from my side of the family starts with me. It is important to remember those that came before us and built upon those before them in establishing a Christian legacy in our families. Maybe you are like me, the first in your family to become a Christian. Or maybe you’re like my wife, the continuation of a legacy that started generations ago. Either way, continuing that legacy is of utmost importance.

“A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children” - Proverbs 13:22a.

What we teach our children about Christ and leading them to a personal relationship with Him, is the best inheritance we can leave them. That legacy is greater than all the gold and silver and jewels in the world because it is an eternal treasure. “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.” - 1 Peter 1:3-5.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment