Sunday, October 13, 2019

Embarrassed

Embarrassed. Have you ever done something out in public that was embarrassing and you looked around to see if anyone else saw you do it?  That happened to me tonight. I was at a hardware store and was loading the things I bought into the trunk of my car. I picked up one of the items that was extremely heavy and when I did the big metal cart that it was on rolled right into my shin. If you have ever been hit in the shin, you know that feeling of instant pain (even after playing soccer for 20 years, it still hurts).

So after I got all of the stuff in my trunk and limped my way over to where you return the carts in the parking lot, I made my way to my car. With my shin still stinging from getting hit, I decided I would pull up my pant leg to make sure I didn’t cut myself. As I bent over to look at my leg, I opened the car door and the corner of the door hit me right in the forehead. There was no cut on my leg, but now I have a big cut across the left side of my forehead. After the sudden flood of pain that came from hitting my head, I realized I was in the middle of a parking lot, so I looked around to see if anyone caught this comedy show.

I didn’t see anyone in their cars laughing hysterically, but they could have been doubled over in the passenger seat trying to catch their breath. Even though it didn’t seem anyone witnessed that event, I was still embarrassed by the stupidity I had just taken part in. I got in the car real quick and found some napkins to stop the bleeding. The bleeding stopped before the feeling of being embarrassed did.

The Bible tells us of a group of people that will one day feel that same embarrassment as I did today, except to a much greater degree and with a more serious consequence. “Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'” - Matthew 7:21-23.

The embarrassment of thinking that you are a Christian because of your works will one day be exposed on that fateful day. Those that did not have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ will be turned away. Those that believed their “works” would be enough to save them will face the embarrassment of being not known by the Savior. There will be many in that day who had masqueraded as Christians only to be exposed that they truly were not. Don’t be those people! Stop relying on your works to save you and give your life to Christ.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment