Monday, October 28, 2019

Near to God

Near to God. As I flew recently, I sat by the window and looked out most of the way at the terrain some thirty-five thousand feet below. It’s amazing what you can see from that far up that is probably hours worth of driving to cover. As I sat there, I thought about how close I was to God being that far above the ground. And then I corrected myself that I was no closer to God in that airplane as I was before I took off. God is close to believers at all times because we have the third person of the Trinity living inside us.

Maybe it was the amazing view that got my mind confused about being closer to God at that moment, I don’t know, but I liked the fact that being close to God came to my mind. As believers, there isn’t anywhere we can go that God isn’t near to us. “If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,  even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.” - Psalm 139:8-10. The psalmist had it right, that no matter where we go, God is there.

We draw close to God when we seek Him in His Word and in prayer. God never has a need to draw close to us because He never moves, but we do and because of that we have to seek Him in order to draw closer. “But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all your works.” - Psalm 73:28.

Have you found yourself feeling like you are no longer as near to God as you once were?  Is there something in your life that has broken fellowship with God?  Confess your sins and seek His face, draw near to Him and you will once again feel His presence. “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.” - James 4:8.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment