Friday, October 11, 2019

Fall

Fall. I have to admit this is my favorite time of year out of all of the seasons. No, it’s not because of anything flavored with pumpkin or spice; I don’t even drink coffee. I love the smell of fall. I love the cool mornings and the warm afternoons. I love the smell of burning leaves (weird, I know). I love sweatshirts. Fall brings back a lot of memories for me growing up in upstate New York. Fall isn’t quite the same down here in North Carolina. Fall doesn’t show up like it does in New York.

The changing of seasons remind me of the main theme of the Bible: death and rebirth. “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.” - John 12:24. You can’t have a rebirth unless you first have a death. Living in farm country, it’s easy to understand the saying of Christ. In order for the rebirth of the wheat, the seed has to be put in the ground to die so it can once again bear fruit.

“Jesus answered them, ‘Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.’” - John 2:19. Jesus understood that for Him to be reborn into glory, He was first going to have to pay the penalty for sin and die a substitutionary death on the Cross. It would only be after His death that He could bear much fruit. That fruit is you and I when we accept Him as our Savior.

We are told that, we too, must die. Not physically, but spiritually. “He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.” - 1 Peter 2:24.  We have to die to the sin nature we have and take on the righteousness of Christ. Have you died to sin?  Have you been born again?

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment