Friday, March 1, 2019

The Dog Track Rabbit

The dog track. It always makes me think of the 80’s sitcom “The Golden Girls”. Sophia always spent some of her free time going to the dog track to wager some money. Sometimes she would come back successfully and sometimes she would not. In the south Florida area of Miami, dog tracks are a big thing.

I don’t know if I would find it interesting to go to a track to watch muzzled dogs run around a track chasing a fake rabbit that they will never be fast enough to catch, but I’ve never been to one. I do love watching the Triple Crown horse races every year but I don’t know if they are comparable. Why go to a track to watch something chase after a fake prize with all their heart and soul never having the chance to catch it when you can watch humans do it everyday.

We are programmed by the world to chase after fake rabbits in hopes that some day we will finally be satisfied by catching it, even though we will never do it. Every time we feel like we are going to catch the rabbit, it gets a little further away than before. We do the same thing in this life we live: if we just had a nicer car, a bigger house, a better paying job, and on and on and on. We never catch the rabbit because we want something more.

The Bible says we are to be content in all things. “Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.  I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” - Philippians 4:11-13.

That’s the real context of the popular verse Philippians 4:13. Paul was saying he could do all things (those listed in verse 12) because Christ gave him the strength to be content in what he had. Paul was no longer chasing rabbits like he was before his conversion on the road to Damascus.

Are you content in what God has given you?  Are you truly finding strength in Christ to do all things in the situations He has put you in?  Or are you chasing rabbits around the course hoping to find satisfaction in things you’ll never find as satisfying?  Find satisfaction in Jesus Christ and not the things of this world.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment