Thursday, February 28, 2019

Garbage

Garbage. It’s everywhere. We create so much garbage in the course of our day, over the course of a year and over the course of our lifetime. As I drive an hour to and from work each day, I see the amounts of garbage that are along the roads. I wonder how people could be so careless that they just throw it out the window. I wonder how much blows from the speed of the cars and where it originated? How much blows out of the back of garbage trucks that originally picked it up?

Garbage isn’t only trash that we throw away. There a lot of definitions for garbage. Noise can be garbage. Speech can be garbage. Time can be garbage. What we accomplish can be garbage. It reminds me of what the Apostle Paul said, “But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.  Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ”- Philippians 3:7-8.

All that Paul had accomplished in his life, he counted as garbage in comparison to knowing Christ and Him crucified. What about the things we accomplish in life, do we count on them or count them as garbage in comparison to knowing in Christ?  Are we defined by our status, our belongings, our degrees or our fame?  Or do we see those things as ways to glorify Christ?

Let us not get caught up in what the world defines as being accomplished and instead look at those things as garbage in comparison to the eternal blessing of knowing Christ.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment