Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Overwhelmed

Overwhelmed!  We’ve all been there at some point in our lives. The word means something different to each of us and we all have a different tolerance level before we feel overwhelmed. It’s a word I’ve heard multiple times in the last few days and I felt like it was something God wanted me to share.

It started on Monday when my good friend and former college teammate, Peter Pessetto, discussed being overwhelmed on his Facebook Live chat that day. He was coming at being overwhelmed from a business standpoint and how he coaches his clients through the feeling. From his standpoint he instructs others to use that feeling of being overwhelmed as a chance to keep pushing through it and not letting off the gas, so to speak. Peter said it could be a time of growth and reflection on priorities if those in that position lean into the feeling and keep working to get through. I agreed with where he was coming from in regards to his topic.

I started thinking about the feeling of being overwhelmed from a spiritual standpoint and if the same instructions would work. Many times when we, as Christians, get to a point of feeling overwhelmed, the first thing we do is to try to fix it ourselves. We look for ways to solve whatever is causing the feeling of being overwhelmed. We depend on self instead of depending on God. It is normally because of decisions we have made that we are in the position of feeling overwhelmed to begin with.

Jesus said to His followers, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." - Matthew 11:28-30. As Christians, we need to step back and actually take our foot of the gas and go to God with the burdens that overwhelm us and let Him carry those burdens. Just like He traded places with us on the Cross, He is willing to trade yokes with us as well.

Are you overwhelmed today?  Does life feel like it’s too much for you to handle?  We serve a God who is waiting to take your burdens from you and give you His rest instead, all we have to do is ask. If He was willing to die for you, He’s more than willing to take your burdens too.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment