Sunday, February 24, 2019

The Sun and the Son

The sun. I know it’s out there even if it hasn’t been seen in a while. It was out for about an hour or so last week and the forecast says it should be out tomorrow and the next day possibly. Even though it hasn’t physically been seen, I know it’s there.

Just like I don’t physically feel the earth rotate every day and I don’t physically feel it revolve around the sun every year, I know it does. I know the sun is there because it’s lighter during the day than it is at night and it gets warmer too. I don’t have to physically see it to know it’s true.

The Son. I know He’s there even if I have never physically seen Him. He was here for about thirty-three years about two thousand years ago and the Bible says He’s coming back soon. Even though He hasn’t physically been seen by me, I know He’s there.

That’s what we call faith. Just like we have faith that the sun is going to rise each morning and we are going to make one trip around the sun each year even though we don’t see it or feel it, we know that Jesus Christ lived and still lives today even though we don’t see Him.

It reminded me of the words of Jesus to Thomas after the Resurrection: “Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, ‘Peace be with you.’  Then he said to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.’  Thomas answered him, ‘My Lord and my God!’  Jesus said to him, ‘Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.’”- John 20:26-29

The writer of Hebrews says it best: “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” - Hebrews 11:1. The whole of chapter 11 in Hebrews tells us of the faith that the heroes of the Bible had in God. Do you have faith that the Bible is true?  Do you have faith that Jesus Christ is who the Bible says He is?  And do you have faith that He is coming back again to receive His Church and then the judgement?

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment