Saturday, July 27, 2019

Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy. I have been working in the yard all morning and afternoon today trying to make the yard look pretty. It’s been one of the cooler days the past couple of weeks allowing me to be out during the middle of the day. One of the last things I did was cut down some wild weeds growing at the edge of our property to try and reclaim some of our yard.

Among the regular looking weeds were patches of poison ivy mixed in and if I wasn’t careful I would have been right up in it. Special thanks to my beautiful bride for pointing out where it was so I could avoid getting too close to it. I wasn’t so lucky about a month ago as I was pulling some weeds around the bushes and happened to get a whole handful of poison ivy. I had it on the back of my hands and up my wrists for about a week.

Just like poison ivy, sin can hide itself among the normal mundane things we do every day until it sneaks up on us and catches us unaware. We may not even know until it’s too late and we are covered in the after affects of touching it. Wouldn’t it be great if sin came with a flashing neon sign telling us right where it is; pointing out to us to be careful and take caution in that particular area because sin awaits us?

My wife was kind enough to point out the areas for me to be careful because poison ivy was lurching. Too bad we couldn’t have someone go before us each day pointing out areas where sin is waiting to catch us unaware. We do, it’s called the Holy Spirit. We also have God’s Word instructing us in areas of our lives that we are to be mindful and aware of letting sin in.

“Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.” - 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Do not let sin spread like poison ivy. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” - 1 John 1:9.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment