Thursday, July 25, 2019

Greek to Me

It’s all Greek to me. Spending so much time in airport terminals lately exposes me to so many different people from so many different cultures and backgrounds, especially in the major airports. I get to hear people speaking all sorts of languages as I walk and sit in the terminal. Sometimes I can recognize what language it might be even though I don’t know the language.

I was sitting near a father and son today and they appeared to be from an Asian country but I’m not sure which one. I sat and listened to them behind me as they talked in their native tongue, not knowing what language it was or what they were saying. Whatever they were saying, I could tell that the middle-aged son was trying to explain something to his older father as they waited for the plane to board. The language may have been foreign to me but the tone of the conversation was not.

It got me thinking about heaven and the verses John wrote in the book of Revelation, “After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, "Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!" - Revelation 7:9-10. That verse always makes me think, if the great multitude made up of so many different people, were speaking so many different languages, did John understand every language now that he was in Heaven, or did all the people speak the same language?

After the Flood, God instructed Noah and his sons to spread out and repopulate the earth, but they disobeyed God and all settled in one place. God had to scatter all the people and confound their language to get them to spread out. I believe when we are all gathered back to God on that great day in Heaven, God will give us back one unified language that we all will speak. That is why John could understand that all the people he saw in Heaven cried out, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!”

So, as I sit here today in wonder at what those around me are saying in their own native tongue, I believe the day is coming soon that I will no longer wonder because I will understand everything because we will all be in the presence of a mighty God who makes everything known to us who put our faith and trust in His Son, Jesus Christ. Praise God!

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment