Saturday, November 24, 2018

The Way of the Cross

“The way of the Cross leads home!”  That old hymn came to mind yesterday as we drove back to North Carolina from New York. When you come into the state of Virginia on Interstate 81 after leaving West Virginia, there is a huge iron cross on the property of a church right along the highway. It has to be five stories high and looks like scaffolding. It is painted white and is lit up at night for all to see.

As we kept traveling south, about thirty minutes after that first large cross, there are three huge wooden crosses up on a hill that can once again be seen from the highway (the picture shows these three crosses).

I was further reminded that we were back in the Bible Belt as church after church could be seen along the side of the highway as we continued traveling south through Virginia towards home. As we were traveling, that old hymn came to mind, “The Way of the Cross Leads Home”,  and I’ve been singing it ever since (and I’m not a good singer):

I must needs go home by the way of the cross,
There's no other way but this;
I shall ne'er get sight of the gates of light,
If the way of the cross I miss.

Chorus:
The way of the cross leads home, (leads home,)
The way of the cross leads home; (leads home;)
It is sweet to know as I onward go,
The way of cross leads home.

I must needs go on in the blood sprinkled way,
The path that the Savior trod,
If I ever climb to the heights sublime,
Where the soul is at home with God. [Chorus]

Then I bid farewell to the way of the world,
To walk in it nevermore,
For the Lord says, "Come," and I seek my home
Where He waits at the open door. [Chorus]

As Christians, our eternal home is a place called heaven and the only way we get there is by way of the Cross.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment