Sunday, November 11, 2018

My Story - Part 2

I told you about my childhood and teen years in yesterday’s post and how I grew up in a moral home but not a Christian home. I’ll continue my story with my experience in college.

I ended up going to a Catholic college in Albany, NY called the College of Saint Rose. I didn’t go because of its religious affiliation but because it was a school that offered me a chance to play both soccer and baseball at the collegiate level. It also had a nationally recognized art program that I was able to get into.

More than 50% of my college professors outside of my art classes were nuns. I had professors that went by the names of Sister Tess and Sister Agnes Rose.  The school used to be an all girl school until the late 70’s or early 80’s.

For three of the four years that I went to college there, I lived within 200 yards of the Catholic church on the corner. There were students that went to church regularly, but I was not one of them. I did not step foot in that church one time in my four years there and really had no interest in anything “religious” at all. I went to school there for art, sports and girls (probably in reverse order).

The nuns that I mentioned, Sister Tess and Sister Agnes Rose, we’re both huge sports fans. They came to the soccer games, the basketball games and the baseball games and would talk to me about games I played in that they attended. However, they never once asked me about going to church or my religious beliefs. Looking back I find that kind of odd that my spiritual well-being wasn’t as important to them as my athletic well-being.

After four years of college, I received my degree in elementary education and moved back home. After a year of teaching I got an opportunity to interview for a teaching position in North Carolina.

I’ll continue my story tomorrow about my move to the Bible Belt.

Have a great rest of your day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment