Tuesday, November 20, 2018

The Narrow Road

“Those are some seriously narrow roads!”  I have never realized how narrow some of the roads are in the middle of town in my hometown in New York. I was remind yesterday as we drove through. My wife mentioned how nerve wracking it was to drive through that short stretch.

The road is barely wide enough for two cars to park along the curbs and then two more cars to pass each other on the street, especially if one of those vehicles is a tractor trailer. The locals don’t seem to even think twice about it and neither did I growing up; it was all I ever knew. But now coming back only once a year it really drew my attention.  I’m sure that truck drivers try to avoid this section of road whenever they can.

It got me thinking about what the Bible says about the narrow way.  "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.  For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.”  This Christian life isn’t easy and the way can be hard at times but the reward is great. The road the world wants you to follow is wide and easy to follow and the world just follows along but the path leads to destruction.

When I wasn’t a Christian, I really never thought about the road I was on; it was all I ever knew and the same road everyone else was traveling as well. But now that I have been away from that life for quite a while, it stands out rather dramatically as I look back, just like the narrow roads in my hometown. Sometimes it just takes a different perspective and some time to see things how they really are. I never knew I was on the wrong road until I got off and looked back at it from the correct road; the narrow road.

What road are you traveling in life?  The wide one that everyone else is on that ultimately leads to destruction?  Or the narrow road that is hard and not as well traveled but leads to eternal life?  The choice is yours. You need to decide today.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment