Monday, November 12, 2018

My Story - Part 3

I got a phone call late one Tuesday night. I had spent all summer sending applications down to NC and heard nothing, and then all of a sudden I got the call. I packed that night and left Wednesday morning. I interviewed on Thursday and start teaching first grade on Friday.

What a whirlwind that week was. From starting a fill-in teaching job in Massachusetts Tuesday morning to leaving on Wednesday and teaching in North Carolina on Friday. I left with only my clothes and my car.

I was in a strange new world with people I had a hard time understanding what the heck they were saying. Looking back now, my new teaching partners were some of the nicest people I have ever met. They took in this northern boy right from day one, but I soon realized I was living in a whole new world.

I can’t tell you how many times in the first few weeks of moving here that I was asked if I had found a place to go to church or if I would like to go to church with someone. As I told you in my last post, people didn’t do that in NY. Your religious life was your personal life and you didn’t ask people if they went to church or if they wanted to go to church with you.

This concept of being asked to church pushed me even further away from wanting to go. I did try a couple times just to be nice but it never “stuck”.

When I started teaching at the high school the invitations changed from other teachers asking me, to now my students were asking me to go or where I was currently going. I used to make fun of them for asking me. I was downright mean sometimes. I remember one girl in my class witnessing to me about my spiritual condition and I made fun of her that I must be better than she was because she was the one that had to go to church three times a week and not me. Oh how I feel for that girl now and how I treated her, and she was one of the sweetest students I ever had. She was just concerned about me and I must have made her feel horrible. I’ve never had a chance to apologize to her for that, but if I see her again that will be the first thing I do.

I was going on with my life in my own little happy world until it was turned upside down. As most stories go.......I met a girl.

I’ll tell you about that tomorrow.

Have a great rest of your day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment