Friday, September 27, 2019

Light Bulb

Light bulb. How many jokes are there out there about how many people it takes to change a light bulb?  My guess is that there are thousands, all with the same premise: that there is nothing easier than changing a light bulb. I was changing out some old light bulbs tonight. Sounds easy for an adult to do right?  Not if you drop one trying to get it out and it hits the bathroom sink faucet below it and shatters into a million bizzilion pieces.

Not a big deal if I wasn’t standing in the bathroom with bare feet now surrounded by broken glass shards. So, I had to carefully tip-toe my way out of the bathroom, making sure I didn’t step on any tiny pieces. My little guy came running to see what that big noise was and I had to fend him off from running into the bathroom with his bare feet.

The funny things is, all the light bulbs worked, they just didn’t match one another and I wanted to fix that. I set in to cleaning up all the glass pieces and running the small hand held vacuum over the entire area to make sure I got it all. Once I got it all cleaned up, I thought to myself, “why was I so intent in replacing light bulbs that worked with more light bulbs that worked”?  I guess because I wanted all the bulbs to match.

I think we all like things to match, whether it’s light bulbs or even our socks (maybe). We like order in our world. But do our lives match what we proclaim to be?  Do our words match what we profess to believe?  God wants our lives to match our hearts. If we profess to know and love Him, He wants our actions to show that we do. God likes things to match as well.

“They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.” - Titus 1:16. God does not want empty professions that do not match our works. To Him that is detestable. “If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.” - 1 John 1:6. What we say and what we do are two different things and it is usually the reason unbelievers call Christians “hypocrites”.

Do you match?  Like all the light bulbs having to match in my bathroom, God wants our profession of Him to match our works. How do those two match up in your life?  Do they match, or not quite?  Would people be surprised you are a Christian because they don’t see it in your life?

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment