Monday, September 23, 2019

Appointments

Appointments. Our calendars are filled with appointments. We have work appointments for meetings and conference calls, we have personal appointments for sports practices and date nights, and we may have church appointments around committees we may be on. One thing is for sure, our calendars are full in comparison to what they were 50 years ago. But, do we make time for unscheduled appointments? Appointments set up by God for us to be a part of: Divine appointments!

I remember, pretty clearly, one such occasion in my life about fifteen years, or so, ago. I was sitting in a parking lot waiting for the time of my next scheduled appointment and someone came up to the side of my car asking if I could spare some money for them to get something to eat. I was sitting with the window down because it was the middle of summer, so he didn’t have to knock. He startled me a bit because I didn’t see him coming. As was normal, I didn’t have any cash on me because I never carry cash. I told him that I couldn’t help him because I didn’t have anything to give. He said “thanks” and walked away.

As he left, I could feel the Holy Spirit convict me that I had not done what I needed to do during that divine appointment. I quickly thought to myself, “I have time before my appointment. I can drive him somewhere and get him something to eat.”  I got out of my car to flag him down and he was nowhere to be seen. It had only been 10 seconds at the longest; there was no way he got out of the parking lot that fast because I was parked squarely in the middle. I stood there looking around the entire parking lot for him, but he was gone!  Instantly, the following verse popped into my head, “Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.” - Hebrews 13:2.

The rest of that day, my head raced through scenarios of what I could have done differently, so that I would never allow something like that to happen again. “The steps of a man are established by the LORD, when he delights in his way” - Psalm 37:23. I don’t know if God established the steps of that man to my car that day to test my faithfulness to the Word of God, but I know I failed Him, and that stranger. I am prepared for the next time that ever happens to me. Have you ever had a divine appointment with someone and not know it until it had passed?

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment