Thursday, September 26, 2019

Bus Stop

Bus stop. Some mornings, on my way to work, if I leave a few minutes late, I get stuck behind a school bus starting it’s morning route. I live in a rural area that doesn’t have many places to pass because most of the roads are very windy. Also, because it is a rural area, the kids don’t all meet at a common bus stop, the bus stops out in front of each house that has a student. So as you can imagine, there are frequent stops along the route.

I noticed something this morning as I waited behind the bus at each stop, the younger the kid, the more excited they were to get on the bus. I watched as little ones, probably first or second graders, came running from the front porch and down the driveway (some went right through the lawn) and right up the steps of the waiting bus. You could tell they were excited to get to school.

Then, on the other hand, came the fifth and sixth graders, not so happy to be making their way to school. The bus came to a stop and there was no one to be seen for what felt like an eternity, and then all of a sudden, out came the student from the front door walking as slow as they possibly could as all of the cars behind the bus just had to sit there. You could tell by their body language that they were nowhere near as excited as the little ones.

I remember when I first became a Christian, there was such an excitement inside of me to learn and to study. I remember getting a copy of Our Daily Bread and using it every day. I had started half way through the three month period that it covers, so I backtracked to make sure I caught up. I had such a thirst for all things Christ. I was just like that little first or second grader excited to get on that school bus.

Now I find myself, at times, more like that sixth grader and not always as excited about all things Jesus. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Savior, but my excitement isn’t the same as it once was. I’m sure some of you can relate, but some of you might be new to Christianity and still have that excitement - awesome!  The Apostle John, in Revelation had a message from Jesus to the church in Ephesus, “But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.” - Revelation 2:4-5. I have to remind myself at times to remember that first love I had when Christ was new and exciting to me and return to that feeling once again. Have you ever experienced that same thing?

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment