Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Routine Maintenance

Routine maintenance. I had to bring my car to the shop today for some routine maintenance, like getting the oil changed and all of the fluids topped off. My car kept notifying me every time I started it up that it was time for some fixes. It’s nice that the newer cars nowadays have programs to alert you to the needs of the car. On my older truck, I just have to pay attention to that little sticker and my odometer to make sure I get the oil changed on time.

Just like our vehicles, we need routine maintenance in our physical lives, and more importantly, in our spiritual lives. We need to check ourselves and make sure that we are in God’s will for our lives and that we are doing those things that we control to make sure we are walking close to Him. Things like our daily devotional time, our prayer life and regularly meeting to worship with other believers at church.

Along with the newer cars on the road, we have a built in “system” that will alert us when things are out of kilter in our spiritual lives. The Holy Spirit works as that system to tells us that something is wrong. If we listen to the Spirit, we can confess our sins and get back in fellowship with God. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”- 1 John 1:9. However, if we fail to heed to the work of the Spirit, we will continue to drift further from the will of God and life will be tougher.

“These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.” - John 14:25-26. Let us allow the Holy Spirit to teach us all things, to direct us to things in our lives that need routine maintenance and let Him work in us to draw us closer to God. We have been given the Spirit of God for a reason, to direct us to His will.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment