Sunday, August 4, 2019

Listen

Listen. It’s a hard thing to do sometimes, to actually listen to words that are being spoken to you. I was curious as to what was the difference between hearing and listening, so I googled it to find out and this is what I learned. Hearing is accidental, involuntary and effortless. On the other hand, listening is focused, voluntary and intentional. Hearing is the simple act of perceiving sound by ear, but listening requires concentration so that your brain processes meaning from words and sentences.

How often do we just hear words as noises in the background, never really processing what is being said. I’m sure we are all guilty of just hearing what our spouses and children are saying and not intentionally focusing on listening to their words. I’m sure we are just as guilty as we sit and listen to the preacher on Sundays. Things may distract us and our minds may wander allowing us only to hear God’s Word and not listen to what is being said.

“Come, O children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.” - Psalm 34:11. Listen to me and I will teach you!  Learning comes by listening and not just hearing. We hear so many sounds and words throughout the course of our day, but what do we really take time to intentionally listen to?  “Blessed is the one who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting beside my doors.” - Proverbs 8:34.

I’m so glad that God doesn’t just hear us but he listens to us, taking our pleas and prayers to heart intentionally. “For he says, ‘In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you.’ Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation.” - 2 Corinthians 6:2.  God is waiting to hear our cry for salvation. He is listening intently for unbelievers to cry out to Him for help. He is willing to save the lost.

As the world begs for peace, love and acceptance, do we hear them or are we listening to them?  Are their pleas just background noise in our lives or are we concentrating on what they are saying and processing their need for a Savior?  Be intentional. Be focused. And be voluntary in what the lost are saying to you. Introduce them to our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment