Thursday, August 8, 2019

Homeless

Homeless. One of the things that is very noticeable as we drove through the areas around Los Angeles the last few days, was the amount of people that are homeless. At almost every stop light and stop sign, there were homeless people on the corner with cardboard signs asking for help. It’s disheartening to see so many people facing hard times like that. It tugs at your heart as a Christian, as you long to help everyone but knowing that you just don’t have the resources to do so.

The guy I was riding with mentioned that he tries not to give homeless people any money because he is afraid that they will use it for drugs or alcohol. I agreed that most will probably do that, and some will actually use it for food or towards getting a room for a night so they can shower and sleep on a bed. I told him that my job was to help when I can in those situations, just like Jesus asked us too; “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'”- Matthew 25:35-36. What they do with the money or things I may give them is their responsibility and they will be held accountable for their choices, not me.

As a society, we normally look down on the homeless like they are diseased, when all of us are just a few bad choices of being in the same situation they are. They are human beings and God’s creation, just like us, nothing more and definitely nothing less. Even the Apostle Paul had times of homelessness, “To the present hour we hunger and thirst, we are poorly dressed and buffeted and homeless, and we labor, working with our own hands. When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure; when slandered, we entreat. We have become, and are still, like the scum of the world, the refuse of all things.” - 1 Corinthians 4:11-13.

There is a coming day that all who put their faith and trust in Jesus Christ will never face homelessness. For He tells us, “In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.” - John 14:2-3. Why a glorious promise. If you know Him, your reservation in His Heavenly home is awaiting you. Praise God!

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment