Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Hungry

Hungry. Ever have those days where you just feel hungry all day?  Even after you eat, you still feel like you can eat again a couple hours later?  That’s been the feeling I’ve had all day today. I skipped breakfast at the hotel and didn’t have anything all the way until lunch, once lunch came around, I ate pretty well. But just two hours later, I was ready for dinner but had to wait.

The there are other days, like on the weekends, where I may go all the way until mid-afternoon before I feel hungry for lunch because I have been working outside in the yard all morning. What makes our bodies have different levels of appetites on different days like that?  I’m not a nutritionist so I won’t try to answer that question. However, I think the same thing happens to us spiritually too.

I know there are days where prayer happens multiple times throughout the day as I am lead by the Holy Spirit, and then there are days where I might go all day without the prompting to pray. Same goes with reading the Bible and subjects to post on this blog. I might get two or three ideas in a day and then some days I struggle to come up with a topic all day and then it just hits me. Why are our appetites for the things of God different on a daily basis?

“"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.” - Matthew 5:6. On days where we don’t “feel” spiritual, we have to hunger and thirst for God’s righteous. We must seek after God even when we don’t feel His presence. We must hunger for His Word even when we don’t feel like it. Every day is not a day of room service in the Christian life, there are days we have to go and pick it up ourselves.

There is a future day when we will not have to worry about being spiritually hungry any more, “They shall hunger no more, neither thirst anymore; the sun shall not strike them, nor any scorching heat.  For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd, and he will guide them to springs of living water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."  - Revelation 7:16-17.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment