Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Retirement

Retirement. Not long ago, when I was in my new home-away-from-home, the airport, I was following an older couple and their friend down the jetway to get on the plane and I was listening to their conversation with another older lady. The retired group of three were telling the other woman about their upcoming adventure of hiking 300 miles through Portugal and Spain. As you can imagine, this story caught my attention and the amazement of the older lady whom they were telling the trip details to.

This got me thinking about growing older and a future retirement on my part. I’m still quite a few years away from retiring, especially with young children, but hopefully some day I can retire and have more time to do things like taking adventures with my wife. But what about our Christian lives?  Do we ever retire from doing the work of God?  The answer to that is “no”!

Our work for the Kingdom of God never comes to an end. Jesus never gave any of His followers a retirement party for their long years of service. All of the Apostles went to the grave, mostly against their will, proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Christians never retire, we just leave this world and enter into the glory of the Lord.

I look forward to retiring from the secular world, but recognize the fact that retirement from a relationship with Jesus Christ will never end. I will never retire from my relationship with my beautiful wife, so why would I assume I would retire from my beautiful relationship with my Savior?  You may never get a paycheck from being a Christian, but the benefits are for eternity.  “So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come.” - Psalm 71:18.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment