Friday, May 3, 2019

Lips

Lips. When I was an art student back in my high school and early college years, I used to love drawing portraits of people. I would draw people out of magazines or from pictures. It is very difficult to make a drawing look exactly like the person’s picture, very few people can do it. Certain features can make or break your drawing: the eyes, the nose and the lips. If you don’t get any of those just right, your drawing will be a disaster.

Our lips say a lot about us. We have all different shapes and sizes of lips based upon our genes. Our lips say a lot about us in who we are, and what we believe as well, based upon what comes out of them. Our lips are the gateway to our hearts.

As Christians, we like to say that we have given our hearts to Jesus, but what about other body parts, like our lips; have we given them to Jesus as well?  Would Jesus be proud of what we allow to come out of our lips in ordinary conversations or behind closed doors?  Would he be proud of the songs we sing when we are in the car alone and the lyrics may be questionable?  Jesus doesn’t just want our hearts, He wants all of us.

“Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit.” - Psalm 34:13.

“O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise.” - Psalm 51:15.

“Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you.” - Psalm 63:3.

“My lips will shout for joy, when I sing praises to you; my soul also, which you have redeemed.” - Psalm 71:23.

Our lips are an important mirror to our hearts. Lips that praise the Lord reflect a heart that does so as well. If the Lord is the Lord of our hearts, then He should also be the Lord of our lips.

Have a great day and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment